Thursday, January 18, 2007

Woot and John Ryan asked questions today.
Woot asks: " Is the foam retaining the fuel, or is the foam causing problems with the fuel pickup as it nears empty?"

I think it's retaining fuel as well as taking up space that could be used by the fuel. I have an extra block of foam, it would be easy enough to test it. Perhaps the diesel 'sticks' to the foam more than gasoline does. Is there a number that measures osmosis? If the diesel stays in the foam, it wouldn't be available for the engine to burn.

I think another part of the problem is that this 11 gallon fuel cell is 'only' 11 gallons, the 5 gallon cell that I once owned would routinely take 5.2 gallons of gasoline even with some foam in it. The diesel is also very susceptable to air in the intake line. If I build an air separator, I might be able to use more of the fuel in the tank . . . that's an idea worth pursuing.

John Ryan is concerned that I warned the other diesel bike owners about riding a 1000 mile day. He was also kind enough to volunteer to ride with me. Dusty Collins has also volunteered to do that ride. I need to get my CB radio hooked up. Otherwise I won't be able to participate in the conversation. It would also be interesting to find out if any of the truckers ask about it.

3 Comments:

Blogger JD said...

It seems as though you have the throttle set up to vary the governor rather than the actual 'throttle.' A good guess or a miss?

Good luck on the 1000 run. Hope nothing shakes loose. My next door neighbor has a Kubota diesel tractor - hydrostatic drive. She mows her lawn at about 30 miles per hour. It's not altogether a bad sound for a diesel machine.

I suggest it's the viscosity of the fuel that's clogging up the foam in the cell. Does the IBA allow multiple baffles in lieu of foam?

Jim Shaw

12:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hrm - if it were the fuel slowly being released from the foam at then end - then - perhaps it is also slowly absorbed.

If that were the case, filling the tank from empty, waiting 20 minutes for the fuel to be absorbed and then trying to put more diesel in might prove that point.

Woot.

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work.

6:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home