Sunday, December 31, 2006

Rode 140 miles today. The bike survived.

The resonant vibration appears to be caused by alignment or tension problems with the primary drive belt. I noticed that one of the bolts for the right side engine adjustment was loose. Tightening the bolt reduced the vibration. I plan to check the alignment tonight and make necessary changes. I think this needs to be reinforced - some redesign work is needed.

The engine is governed. The handgrip adjusts engine speed. Twisting it halfway causes the engine to spin up about halfway. If I use the throttle lock at that position, the engine accelerates until it hits it's set RPM and stays there. If it's fully open and I pull in the clutch, the engine RPM doesn't change. Going up hill, the boost comes up and the engine pulls harder, but the speed stays (nearly) constant.

Speaking of boost, I think I need more of it. The boost gauge only shows the engine getting about 4 inches of boost. Two inches of boost is about 1 psi, so it isn't getting very much pressure. For tomorrow, I plan to bypass the waste gate and see if it gets more boost that way. I'd like to see the engine getting at least 7 psi or about 15 inches of boost.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home