Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Two new items after riding to work two days.

On Tuesday evening, I loosened the engine mount bolts, realigned the primary drive belt and set the tension. After retightening the engine mount bolts, the bike is much smoother. There is minimal vibration and none of the growling and severe harmonic vibrations. The bike stayed smooth and pulled evenly through the entire RPM and speed range. Top speed indicated was about 83 mph; since it is geared for 77, I suspect the speedometer is about 5 mph optimistic. Between Dale City, VA and Washington, DC in the HOV lanes, the hills slowed the bike to an indicated 70 mph. Those speeds are quite acceptable.

But, the engine died twice after the high speed run into Washington DC and it died multiple times after returning to Dale City. In Washington, I thought it was an electrical problem, the engine restarts easily. After work on the ride home, the bike worked flawlessly until I got off the highway, then the engine died repeatedly. It would run for 15 seconds or so, then die again. Based on the way it died, I think this is a fuel problem. I don't plan to ride it to work tomorrow. This is a major concern, its important to identify a cause for this and fix it.

I have contacted Linda Tanner at Custom Tank Bags to build a cover for the fuel tank. Linda builds tank bags and fuel tank covers for many long distance riders. She does good work and understands what long distance riders need. I think the combination back rest and bike cover is a wonderful idea, I need both and this allows it to take no additional space.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home