Monday, July 24, 2006

If spending money is an approximation of progress, then the past couple of weeks indicate the project is moving right along. The BDL primary belt conversion kit came in. I bought a kit for an Evo Softail. The transmission end fits perfectly, the cluth and starter will bolt right on. The front pulley and front half of the connector plate and belt will not fit. The new front pulley should be delivered on Wednesday, I haven't ordered a belt yet.

On Saturday July 22nd I built most of the rear engine mount/front transmission mount. This week the goal is to build the front engine mount and figure out the adjustments so the primary belt track and tension are correct. The engine mounts consist of two flat plates about an inch front to rear and 8" wide. I plant to put a piece of rubber between the plates to provide some vibration damping. Because the rubber is there, I'll need adustment links to keep the engine from sliding back and loosening the belt. One of the adjustment links will connect between the transmission plate and the engine just above the top belt run. I haven't identified the spot on the other side of the engine yet. There aren't any obvious mounting points on that side.

The next set of pictures will be of the engine sitting on the mounts with at least one of the belt pulleys installed.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

When I broke down on the Lonestar run I need towing motorcycle that I could trust and these guys were the ones to help me out.

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home